Sunday, December 1, 2019

Nov 11-Dec 1: Tokyo, Kyoto, Shikoku, Awaji, Eiheiji, Kanazawa, Tokyo, Denver, Salida

I'm a few weeks behind on this. Haven't been spending much time at the computer, so just catching up now.

Nov 11
Am: 4.7 miles in 34:40 from the hotel and around Imperial Palace. No imperial procession today, so things went a touch quicker. Did a light 1-minute on, 1-minute off around the palace. It rained last night, so it was a little slick in sections, so didn’t push too hard. That said, my paces were still a bit slower in general on the “on” sections than I might have liked. I think the high mileage walking routine might be putting some deadness into my legs.

Pm: 5 miles of walking around Tokyo

Nov 12
4.6 miles in 33:57 from the hotel around Imperial Palace. First and last mile was a jarring start-stop fest with lots of bobbing and weaving around the palace as well. Have enjoyed my stay in Tokyo tremendously—overall the trip has far exceeded expectations. That said, not going to miss running in Tokyo.

Pm: Bullet train to Kyoto and 3.7 miles walking

Nov 13
Tried to go for a sub 17:30 5k along the Kamo River trail in Kyoto. Mostly-flat path with some weird dips and bumps around all the footpaths, and some sketchy footing in parts. Mix of dirt, cobblestone, pavement, and a few things in between. Started with a 5:31, was on pace for 5:35 for mile 2, but then there was a detour off the path to another river path. I tried to roll along with it, but that new path was sketchy enough in terms of footing that I decided to call it off. Sigh. Ended up getting confused by the detour and getting lost in my return.

Eventually found my way back after 6.8 miles.

Pm: Another 10.2 miles walking around Kyoto. Boy are my feet sore.

Nov 14
Am: 3 miles walking around Kyoto

Pm: 7.6 mile run in 55:20 on Kamo river path. Avg HR 137 w/ 7:18 pace. Kinda windy. God bless low altitude.

Nov 15
Am: 3 miles in 22:30, max HR 135, w/ four strides. Kamo river path.

Pm: 4 miles walking around Kyoto.

Nov 16
Am: Figured I had to give the time trial 5k thing one more go.

Ran 17:13 along the river path in a time trial. Started in 5:27, then 5:32 and 5:40. Thought I had scoped out a route without detours, but I scoped it out on a Thursday, and on the Saturday, there was a detour for something. Had to turn around at 2.5 and do a 180 mid-run. Killed my momentum a bit, but I managed to hang in there and finish reasonably well.

Running a sub-17:30 5k was my big goal last year. It didn’t happen last year, but I got there this year, the same year I had the worst injury of my life, and six months and two days after my second ankle surgery of the year.

Not sure what to say other than that the recovery has exceeded all expectations. I had a great, 15-week block of training. I was inspired to run a little faster by watching some high school kids running fast. So now I’m a little faster than I was last year. That’s how it’s supposed to work, right?

Tomorrow my wife and I leave for some remote parts of Japan. Not sure I’ll get much running in the next week or so.

Nov. 17 – Nov. 20; Four days in the Iya Valley on the island of Shikoku, Japan. No running.

Nov. 21; 3.2 miles in 25 minutes in Takamatusu, Shikoku, Japan. Found a trail that had what I think was a “warning, wild boars in the area” sign. Fortunately, I managed to avoid a wild-boar incident. Finished with a flat 6:39 mile, average HR 139. God bless low altitude.

Nov. 22 – 2.32 miles in 18 minutes on a big hill near the ocean in Awaji, Japan. Raining and a bit treacherous.

Nov. 23-24; Two days at Eiheiji Monastery, the original home of Japanese Zen Buddhism. Heck of an experience. No running.

Nov. 25
Saw online that Salida had six boys under 17:02 at NXR. Placed 5th among small schools. Not bad. Plus two coaches under 16:30!

The hotel had a pamphlet that recommended a 500-meter running path two miles away from the hotel.

3.2 miles easy on the mill; 25 minutes; Kanazawa, Japan.

Nov. 26
Back to Tokyo. Zero.

Nov. 27
3.4 miles in 24 minutes around Imperial Gardens in Tokyo. 7:35, 6:56, 6:26, 6:36 pace, max HR 145.

3.2 miles walking around Tokyo.

Hard to put into words our trip, so I won't even try. Here are a few pics.












































Nov. 28
Back in Colorado. Visiting my brother for Turkey Day. 2.7 in 19:50 running around Jim Baker reservoir in Arvada. Snowy and icy.

Nov. 29
4.1 in 30:10 in the same spot. Even worse with snow and ice.

Back to Salida
Nov. 30
2.3 miles on CR 140. Turned around because of ice. Still pretty weary of the stuff.

Dec. 1
Am: 1.2 miles on CR 250. Quit because it was so treacherous, even with screw shoes. Did another 2.4 on the mill.

Pm: 3.17 on CR 140 in 23:59, max HR 145. SW wind and cold.

1 comment:

  1. Sub 17:30 is amazing.

    The pictures are even more so.

    ReplyDelete