The goal for the year is to run a 17:30 5k, so I figured I should go run a 5k, see how far off I am.
I was hoping to run an 18:15, and I ran a 18:21. I was on pace for an 18:30 through about 2.7 miles, but got a little burst of energy at the end.
- That’s the fastest 5k I’ve run since I was 19!
- You can do tempos and intervals all you want, but actually going at it for a full 5k, that's a special kind of burn.
- I was working hard, no doubt, but I'm hopeful I might have another half-gear in there somewhere.
- I remember liking this distance once upon a time. I think I still do.
- Today’s run was 5:55/mile. The goal is 5:38/mile. 17 seconds a mile faster seems super intimidating. But two seconds per mile every month? Not totally inconceivable. Still intimidating, but less so.
- Pretty sure my best bet to reach this goal is to find a 5k in November/December at 7,000 feet lower altitude than where I’m currently running.
On an unrelated note, I am not running Run Through Time this year, marathon or the half. I could give a bunch of excuses, but the truth is, I just wasn’t feeling it. I’ll be out there, though, volunteering at the intersection (miles 12 and 16) where Dakota Jones and Eric Senseman got lost last year, trying to make sure we don’t have a repeat.
If you’re running, I’ll see you out there!