Friday, April 12, 2019

Weening

I had my 6-week post-op appointment on Wednesday, and now I'm progressing toward my first steps of real human walking with no crutches since the injury.

I'm weaning off the crutches for a week, and then, after that's done, according to the plan, I'm weaning off the boot for 8 days. In 13 days, if all goes well, and the pain is manageable, I should be walking around the place like a normal person.

I've been swimming 3 or 4 days a week, averaging about a mile every time I go the pool. I usually swim with a pool buoy between the legs to stabilize the legs. Just recently, I started swimming a little using my legs to kick, and that feels a little funky, but it's doable and not too painful. I may even start driving one of these days, and with that, I'll probably start exercising 5-6 days a week instead of 3-4. I'm also now cleared to exercise bike and can soon do elliptical if I want to (which I don't).

In terms of healing, doc says everything looks fine. In terms of the eye test, things are looking way more normal than a few weeks ago. My leg has atrophied lots and looks skinnier than it was when I was in junior high, but that's to be expected.

I have another surgery scheduled in 32 days (the next one is just to remove the "hardware"), which is not as big of a deal, but it's still surgery. So it'll probably be another two months before I'm jogging, and maybe another month or so before I'm running. But I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, as they say. And every day I'm regaining independence, which is in many ways more important than the running thing.

Eager to spend more time outside and just move. Given that most of life is a matter of relative expectations, I'm enjoying the process well enough as I progress in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment