Thursday, March 21, 2019

Swimmingly

Went swimming today for the first time since the injury.

It's amazing what low expectations will do for you, because 20 minutes of swimming felt downright magical. It's the first real exercise I've done in the last five weeks.

I'd love to get to the pool 4-5 days a week and build up to 45 minutes to an hour of swimming, but since I won't be able to drive for another month, that means relying on the wife or taking a cab both ways, at least for now. Not sure quite how reliable cabs are during the day in Salida or if that's even possible. And Uber and Lyft haven't made it out here just yet. 

I'm still crutching and in a boot, and I will be for another five weeks. But even after I'm walking and jogging I expect to be spending a lot of time at the pool the next three to five months. I prefer swimming to ellipticals or stationary bikes, and, well, I couldn't do those yet even if I wanted to.

I'm able to take the boot off at night and when I'm in the water now, and I'm not going to lie, the leg still don't look right. The pain has subsided considerably, but thoughts of running are still a long ways off. First, swimming. Then, walking.

Patience, grasshopper. Life's all about patience right now.

Regardless, being able to get into the water was a big spirit-lifter and gets me excited about the process of recovery. There's a long road ahead, but I'm glad that I'm finally taking the first steps in that direction. Figuratively if not yet literally.


3 comments:

  1. Damn man. But it seems if anyone has a good enough head on their neck to deal with this, it is you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, GZ. Slowly but surely. Glad to see you're out there getting some good workouts in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Report - Keep Swimming When You Can - Stay Strong

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete