Thursday, December 31, 2020

End of 2020 Musings

  • I’m still running. Every day. 
  • I did not run a sub-5 mile this year. I have a few excuses, but the main one is that I’m not fast enough. 
  • I’ve been struggling a bit with Achilles tendinopathy issues the last four months. I’m managing it fine, but it has flared up to the degree where it’s affected my training a few times.
  • Another matter complicating fast times on the track: the Salida track has often been closed this year. Every time they close the school for COVID, which they’ve done three times, they close the track. 
  • On the whole, I feel like I’m about 95% as fit as I was a year ago. Good enough in a year like this one.
  • Last fall I was running 55 miles a week, and now I’m doing 30 about miles a week. 
  • 1815 miles on the year. 
  • I do some intensity every week, although often it’s just a tempo or some light aerobic intervals.
  • Being a new dad certainly makes it more challenging to get as much running in as I might like. We’ll probably start putting the little man into childcare starting next year as he gets older and (hopefully) COVID becomes less of a factor. Maybe that’ll free up some time to run more in the coming years.
  • Running blogging (and blogging in general) has gotten the shaft this year. Not much to say other than it’s not a priority. 
  • I’m not sure I’ll ever get back to posting weekly training. To the extent that anyone cared, you can go back and get the gist of the type of training I do. 
  • Maybe I’ll post the occasional running-related diatribe in 2021 when I feel so inspired.
  • Baby is doing great. My dog with cancer is still alive and doing pretty well, all things considered. My business did fine this year. It’s been a weird year, for sure. But as a 98th percentile introvert, quarantine doesn’t bother me all that much. A traumatic year for the world to be sure, but on a personal level, I can’t complain.
  • What does 2021 have in store for me, running-wise? I think sub-5 is still the main goal. And I have still have a Pikes Ascent entry that was rolled over in 2019 for a broken leg and 2020 for COVID. Little did I know that when I signed up in January 2019 that I was making a 30-plus month training plan. I have a Bolder Boulder entry that’s rolled over twice, too, but I don’t think that one’s going to happen this year, either. 
  • I can see myself getting out for some small mountain races in the summer, too, if I’m feel fit and healthy. Creede and Crested Butte always appeal to me. 
  • 2021, eh? Man, if I stopped to think about it, that would make me feel really old. Which is why I reckon it’s best not to think about it too much.

Tata for now. Here’s hoping that 2021 goes a little smoother than 2020 did!


3 comments:

  1. Remember back in March when I thought you were crazy for thinking this would go on for three weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Let's hope that we get something resembling normalcy in the 2nd half of the year.

      Delete
  2. This is a testimony that I will tell everyone in the world. i have been married for 4 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i meant a post where this man Zuma Zuk have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love Husband home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48 hours as he have told me after doing everything he asked me to do, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make everyone of you in similar case to meet with this man and have your marriage fixed His email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com whatsapp him on this +15068001647..... thank so much Zuma Zuk.

    ReplyDelete