Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Time Trial

I ran a time trial today.

The goal for the year is to run a 17:30 5k, so I figured I should go run a 5k, see how far off I am.

I was hoping to run an 18:15, and I ran a 18:21. I was on pace for an 18:30 through about 2.7 miles, but got a little burst of energy at the end.

Thoughts:
  • That’s the fastest 5k I’ve run since I was 19! 
  • You can do tempos and intervals all you want, but actually going at it for a full 5k, that's a special kind of burn. 
  • I was working hard, no doubt, but I'm hopeful I might have another half-gear in there somewhere.
  • I remember liking this distance once upon a time. I think I still do. 
  • Today’s run was 5:55/mile. The goal is 5:38/mile. 17 seconds a mile faster seems super intimidating. But two seconds per mile every month? Not totally inconceivable. Still intimidating, but less so.
  • Pretty sure my best bet to reach this goal is to find a 5k in November/December at 7,000 feet lower altitude than where I’m currently running. 
I acknowledge that there’s something arguably douche-y about being a 40-year-old running just shy of 90 second quarters by himself on a high school track. But, whatever. On the grand scale of things, none of this matters. I'm having fun with it. And I'll keep doing that as long as I feel that way.

On an unrelated note, I am not running Run Through Time this year, marathon or the half. I could give a bunch of excuses, but the truth is, I just wasn’t feeling it. I’ll be out there, though, volunteering at the intersection (miles 12 and 16) where Dakota Jones and Eric Senseman got lost last year, trying to make sure we don’t have a repeat.

If you’re running, I’ll see you out there!

7 comments:

  1. Solo time trial? You would go significantly faster in a race, probably sub 18.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'd be great if it were true! Hard to say without putting on a bib and getting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to say with that being a solo time trial in trainers on a legit downhill course you'd be sub 14 for sure.

    (or just, well done).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I could break 14 minutes if you dropped me out of an airplane at 5000m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep at it!
    Hi-Five on Saturday morning...surely, beers in the afternoon.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two High-5s in the am! Not really drinking these days, but shoot me a text after the race and we'll catch up somewhere!

    ReplyDelete