Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Progress of sorts

Last week, I was feeling sluggish, and I started to sense PF pain in both feet, so I decided to take a day off and then do a super easy day on Friday. On Saturday, I ran 13 miles, first half in 7:30s, with 7:00s until mile 10, finishing the last 5K with a 6:35, 6:27, 6:19, and then 5:15 pace for the last .1. Hardly a land-speed record, but since it was the first time I had dipped below 7 minutes a mile in 2012, it felt good to get the legs moving. When I signed up for Boston, I had originally hoped to run sub-2:55 (perhaps even sub-2:50) . But that was before I hurt my hamstring. I had given up on any sort of goal, but this run made me wonder if I still might have a chance of pulling that off. I kind of think that I'm stupid to even consider it, seeing as how I'm averaging around 35 miles a week in 2012, but if I can get three good weeks of training in now before the race, I might push it in Boston after all, at least to see if I can better my 2:59 from last fall.

Took Sunday off, too, for good measure. Had a good combo run/uphill treadmill workout yesterday. This morning I ran 11 miles in 1:21, keeping my HR below 150, which is better than I could do at any time last fall. I feel as I'm rounding into shape, despite unimpressive volume. If I can stay healthy, I'm optimistic about Leadville late in the summer. Sure wouldn't mind picking up one of them bigger buckles, and setting at least a 28-minute PR in the distance. I might even do a few non-ultra tune ups before then.

Perhaps Mt. Evans in June. I'd like to think I'd have an outside shot at a top-10 finish. But that's probably getting ahead of myself, considering I have had only a few weeks of marginally healthy running all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment